IFB Authored Books

Boomer said:
I couldn't help but notice that Cooper is into alliteration big time. Apart from the Fall of the Fledgling Fundamentalist, he has another book titled with three all iterated words.

What do you guys think about alliteration in sermons? Does it help or distract from the message?

If you look on his website he has a recommendation from John Hamblin and it is the same thing.

Boomer said:
I couldn't help but notice that Cooper is into alliteration big time. Apart from the Fall of the Fledgling Fundamentalist, he has another book titled with three all iterated words.

What do you guys think about alliteration in sermons? Does it help or distract from the message?

Just try listening to him preach.  He spends more time with a thesaurus finding words to alliterate than Raider spends gleaning memories from the old YMBAH!  The truth is lost for sake of style.

Boomer said:

Boomer, I thought maybe I was just picking at things when I wearied of constant alliteration. it almost becomes that a point is forced just to make sure the letters all start the same.
I find when it is constantly done, a distraction. Only the preacher knows how much time is used making sure the alliteration works. If a time management survey were done, would it be deemed a good use of time?

Baptist City Holdout said:
Boomer said:

Boomer, I thought maybe I was just picking at things when I wearied of constant alliteration. it almost becomes that a point is forced just to make sure the letters all start the same.
I find when it is constantly done, a distraction. Only the preacher knows how much time is used making sure the alliteration works. If a time management survey were done, would it be deemed a good use of time?

Time spent is no where near as profitable as the time spent posting on this forum.  Someone has to keep the internet users right with God and the mantle has fallen upon us, my fellow posters! ;)

As an English teacher, I don't mind alliteration for "S"pecial "S"ermons....I couldn't resist.  I can still remember some alliterated points from a few messages I heard as a teenager (which was in the second decade after Ruth and Naomi left Moab and returned to Israel). 

However,  I am much more of a conceptual person; key words and statements (from Scripture in preaching definitely) that reinforce the concepts preached and/or taught are more conducive to learning whether they are alliterated or not, in my opinion. 

But, hey, I'm a female.  I'm not sure my opinion really matters anyway. 

Boomer said:

Sometimes the points of a sermon will fall easily into an alliterated outline.  All points can be easily understood by the hearers.  I have no problem with this.  There are other times that, as you put it, it can become a distraction.

Our church uses Sunday School material from Paul Chappel's (Lancaster Baptist Church) printing ministry.  The alliteration is ridiculous!  The "common man" has to have several of the words in the outline explained to him.  I am not a fan of forcing $50 words into an outline just so you can look intelligent.  Chappel and Rasmussen both do this. 

I know that many on the FFF are not fans of the preaching of Dr. Hyles.  Whether you are a fan or not, you have to admit that his outlines (though very few were alliterated) were easy to follow.  It was practical.  He wasn't trying to impress anyone with a forced alliteration.

Just my two cents!   

Here's my problem with alliteration: It distracts from the main truth of the message and flashes a big sign that says "Look, the preacher is clever." When I started out preaching, I tried to alliterate everything...then I started noticing that nobody seemed to be listening to or growing from my sermons (myself included). I read a couple of good books on biblical preaching (Robinson, Chapell, and Sunukjian). All of them condemned alliteration.

Here's Don Sunukjian's take on it:

"Alliteration? We could say:
    - It mispriffers.
    - It misleads.
    - It misdirects.
    - It mishonors.

But it seems better to say:
    - It may be unclear.
    - It may be unbiblical.
    - It may highlight the outline more than the truth.
    - It may draw attention to the cleverness of the speaker."

He gives another great example of a message called "The Preaching of the Gospel" from 1 Thessalonians 1:4-8.

The alliterated version:

I.  The process for preaching
II.  The practice in preaching
III. The product of preaching

The way that actually teaches a profitable truth:

I.  We don't need to sell it.
II.  But we must live it.
III. It will change lives.

Boomer said:
Here's my problem with alliteration: It distracts from the main truth of the message and flashes a big sign that says "Look, the preacher is clever." When I started out preaching, I tried to alliterate everything...then I started noticing that nobody seemed to be listening to or growing from my sermons (myself included). I read a couple of good books on biblical preaching (Robinson, Chapell, and Sunukjian). All of them condemned alliteration.

Here's Don Sunukjian's take on it:

"Alliteration? We could say:
    - It mispriffers.
    - It misleads.
    - It misdirects.
    - It mishonors.

But it seems better to say:
    - It may be unclear.
    - It may be unbiblical.
    - It may highlight the outline more than the truth.
    - It may draw attention to the cleverness of the speaker."

He gives another great example of a message called "The Preaching of the Gospel" from 1 Thessalonians 1:4-8.

The alliterated version:

I.  The process for preaching
II.  The practice in preaching
III. The product of preaching

The way that actually teaches a profitable truth:

I.  We don't need to sell it.
II.  But we must live it.
III. It will change lives.

I agree 100%.  Many times it actually makes a sermon boring.  Who is the Chapell that you mentioned?

Bryan Chapell wrote a great book called "Christ-Centered Preaching." It is a must-read for any preacher. I also have gained much from Haddon Robinson's "Biblical Preaching" and Don Sunukjian's "Invitation to Biblical Preaching."

Bryan Chapell was president of Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, MO.

Boomer said:
Bryan Chapell wrote a great book called "Christ-Centered Preaching." It is a must-read for any preacher. I also have gained much from Haddon Robinson's "Biblical Preaching" and Don Sunukjian's "Invitation to Biblical Preaching."

Bryan Chapell was president of Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, MO.

You can also download the lectures and syllabus for the classroom teaching that he gives from the school's website (along with a host of other classroom lectures).

I thought I would post some links to some publications that are not IFB but produce some very good material.

I have taken Foundation magazine for over 35 years.  Excellent writing and subject material.  $12.00 year subscription

http://www.feasite.org/publications/foundation

Berean Searchlight is also very well done.  While this group is hyper in their dispensationalism (they don't baptize, other issues) the writing and subject matter is very good.  Free to get.

http://new.bereanbiblesociety.org/berean-searchlight-may-2013/

Of course, if all you want is a constant stream of pablum, Crown and Lancaster Baptist (CA) put out some good material too.

IFB X-Files said:
I thought I would post some links to some publications that are not IFB but produce some very good material.

I have taken Foundation magazine for over 35 years.  Excellent writing and subject material.  $12.00 year subscription

http://www.feasite.org/publications/foundation

Berean Searchlight is also very well done.  While this group is hyper in their dispensationalism (they don't baptize, other issues) the writing and subject matter is very good.  Free to get.

http://new.bereanbiblesociety.org/berean-searchlight-may-2013/

Of course, if all you want is a constant stream of pablum, Crown and Lancaster Baptist (CA) put out some good material too.

How about the Bible Believer's Bulletin?  :)

[quote author=RAIDER]How about the Bible Believer's Bulletin?  :)[/quote]

Yay for heretical writings!

rsc2a said:
[quote author=RAIDER]How about the Bible Believer's Bulletin?  :)

[/quote]

:)

RAIDER said:
rsc2a said:

:)[/quote]

First lines of this month's BBB:

One of the most worn-out valedictions used these days is: “Have a good day.” Another one that the  speak-it-into- existence” charismaniacs use is: “Have a blessed day,” as though they are granting you a “blessed” day. It’s easy to get caught up in that stuff because it makes you feel good and thought of as  being a nice person. Again, I’ll keep shouting it till I’m gone: this is the mindset of this Laodicean church period— humanism.

::)

rsc2a said:

[/quote]

Is that the site which has "exposes" of just about every church leader in history except Jesus? If so that place is a hoot. I used to go there years ago but quit because it wasn't updated enough. He "exposes" everyone from Billy Graham to Martin Luther to Jack Hyles, Jerry Falwell, Bob Jones, etc, etc, etc,....and those are just some of the "conservative" ones!  ???