Not So Famous Quotes

"Scat there cat ya got yer tail in the gravy"--said in sped-up manner akin to "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" by Billy Wayne Short (a spiritual father figure of ALAYMAN) after he sneezed. A Harlan County Kentuckian self-described Hillbilly and one of the smartest and most unique men I ever knew, a significant instrument in why I am in church and in the ministry today.....and most of all full of southern sayings that I had never heard before he uttered them :)
Interesting. My family roots in the South go back to the revolutionary days, and I have never heard the phrase (at least that I recall). I have a feeling that might be more a mountain southern saying. There can be vast differences in colloquialisms in different regions. I know in the coastal region of North Carolina, I’d often hear the phrase, “I ain’t studdin’ that!” quite often. It just means a person isn’t buying into someone’s crap usually, or they’re not getting duped or doing something they think is stupid. Anyway, I’ve never heard that expression in any other area.

"Have a nice day!" Forrest Gump

Interesting. My family roots in the South go back to the revolutionary days, and I have never heard the phrase (at least that I recall). I have a feeling that might be more a mountain southern saying. There can be vast differences in colloquialisms in different regions. I know in the coastal region of North Carolina, I’d often hear the phrase, “I ain’t studdin’ that!” quite often. It just means a person isn’t buying into someone’s crap usually, or they’re not getting duped or doing something they think is stupid. Anyway, I’ve never heard that expression in any other area.

I explicitly remember, watching a show on PBS called “Do You Speak American“ where they went all around the country, listening to peoples speech patterns and colloquial sayings. It was a fascinating study of language. I have always been a people watcher, enthralled by the different regional dialects. Of all the places that they went to and talked to people the one that I had the hardest time understanding was the people from the region nearest me, Mountain folk in Kentucky, and Tennessee. And that reminds me of a funny story about my own mother. Maybe I’ll tell it if this thread keeps going.

Of all the places that they went to and talked to people the one that I had the hardest time understanding was the people from the region nearest me, Mountain folk in Kentucky, and Tennessee.
I agree. My accent is southern, but as a kid, I recall once visiting a family friend’s church in a remote town in Tennessee, and I had a conversation with a kid and I just kept nodding my head because I only understood about half of what he was saying! But anyway, the southern coastal accent is very different than the southern mountain accent—especially deep in the hollers!

I agree. My accent is southern, but as a kid, I recall once visiting a family friend’s church in a remote town in Tennessee, and I had a conversation with a kid and I just kept nodding my head because I only understood about half of what he was saying! But anyway, the southern coastal accent is very different than the southern mountain accent—especially deep in the hollers!

When I was 16 years old, I was driving in Columbus Ohio and got lost. I pulled over into a parking lot of a business and tried to figure out where I was. A police officer happened to be nearby and I pulled up to her to ask directions out of Columbus. I only live two hours due south of there, and have been in Ohio all my life. When she heard me ask for direction, she asked me which part of the south was I from. I was confused, as I didn’t know what she meant, so I asked her what she was talking about because I just wanted to get home. She said “which part of Tennessee or the Carolinas are you from?” There is a big difference in the dialects from the southern tip of Ohio to the northern Cleveland area. The cultures and speech patterns are indeed vastly different, but there is no way that her perception of my dialect was anywhere close to accurately representative of the Bluegrass state or Volunteers, not then, or now.

During my one semester at The Master's College (fresh out of the Navy, fresh out of Virginia) I was sitting in the dining hall talking to a couple guys thinking nothing about what was being said when one of them asked the other, "Where are you from?" To which he replied, " 'Lanta Gōrga (Atlanta Georgia)" I didn't notice his drawl till it was mentioned.

Here in Middle Tennessee there are a plethora of dialects....I can speak and understand most of them! LOL

I did something rather dangerous several years back at a restaurant while ordering. Me and ALAYWIFE were on vacation in the Boston area and went out to eat. Before telling the waitress what I wanted I asked her about the options on the menu if some particular dish had onions. As soon as I asked the question about onions she shot back "there's no 'G' in onions". I had never realized that in my regional language trappings that one of the effects was to pronounce the word "onion" as uhnG-yin. As it quickly dawned on me what whe was gettin' at I fired back at her "yeah, and there's no 'ah' in 'caRRR' either" 😁 Fortunately for me she appreciated the reversal of humor and our dining experience afterwards was without incident (well, I assume she didn't have the cook spit in it :sick:).

"Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."--Paul & Timothy

"Come play with us, Danny!"....The Grady twins in "The Shining"

That's a pretty well known quote....
Depends on who’s doing the acknowledgment. Here amongst the much more Biblically literate FFF? For sure! Do I have to limit the scope of citations to you bunch of Fundies?😁

“Three to thrive”—Lee Roberson

"All men are scum!" Every woman who has ever been wronged by a man!

"Boy, I say boy, pay close attention to me, cause you're a burrito short of a combination plate."—Foghorn Leghorn
But HOW!? I know I know figures don't lie... but... no, I better not, I might, I say I just might be in there.

“I'm a chicken hawk and I've never even seen a chicken.”—Henery Hawk

“For myself, the philosophy of meaninglessness was essentially an instrument of liberation, sexual and political.”—Aldous Huxley (larger contextual quote below)

I had motive for not wanting the world to have a meaning; consequently assumed that it had none, and was able without any difficulty to find satisfying reasons for this assumption. The philosopher who finds no meaning in the world is not concerned exclusively with a problem in pure metaphysics, he is also concerned to prove that there is no valid reason why he personally should not do as he wants to do, or why his friends should not seize political power and govern in the way that they find most advantageous to themselves. . . . For myself, the philosophy of meaninglessness was essentially an instrument of liberation, sexual and political.

“The US economy is doing very well"—Janet Yellen