The Hacker Dictionary Word of the Day!

Tom Brennan said:
RAIDER said:
Word of the Day - April 4, 2014

Question & Answer Time

The greatest entertainment for the experienced collegian. The key was to sincerely encourage a freshman hacker to ask a question which you knew would produce a blow up and then sit back, with some popcorn, and watch the fireworks happen...

One time a Hacker stood up and asked Dr. Hyles what the duties of a best man were.  In Dr. Hyles' fashion he finished him off quickly.  The next week the same guy stood up and asked the same question in a little different way.  And the rest is history!  :)

RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:
RAIDER said:

Question & Answer Time

The greatest entertainment for the experienced collegian. The key was to sincerely encourage a freshman hacker to ask a question which you knew would produce a blow up and then sit back, with some popcorn, and watch the fireworks happen...

One time a Hacker stood up and asked Dr. Hyles what the duties of a best man were.  In Dr. Hyles' fashion he finished him off quickly.  The next week the same guy stood up and asked the same question in a little different way.  And the rest is history!  :)

I asked him a question every week for years. He only blew up at me once. I think he misunderstood my question as an attack when it was simply an honest question. But when I went by his office to tell him goodbye one of several things he said that he would miss about me was my questions.

Miss him today...

Tom Brennan said:
I asked him a question every week for years. He only blew up at me once. I think he misunderstood my question as an attack when it was simply an honest question. But when I went by his office to tell him goodbye one of several things he said that he would miss about me was my questions.

Miss him today...

He seemed to enjoy the Q&A time when people asked everyday questions about news, weather, and sports.  I don't believe he started the Q&A time for deep questions with long answers. 

RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

Miss him today...

He seemed to enjoy the Q&A time when people asked everyday questions about news, weather, and sports.  I don't believe he started the Q&A time for deep questions with long answers.

If i ever would have asked a question in Q and A time, it would NOT have been about the Bible..... Yes, news or sports, or about Raider.

Word of the Day - April 7, 2014

Tunnels

RAIDER said:

Tunnels

FBCH purchased the HAC property from the Catholics.  Under the property were tunnels that led from one building to another.  Supposably the tunnels had been blocked off.  They are part of HAC folklore.

RAIDER said:

Question & Answer Time

This is the time where you get up at Christmas time and ask jh why they have all of these heathen christmas trees up when the bible CLEARLY says it is evil. Or so one young hacker thought!

BALAAM said:
RAIDER said:

Question & Answer Time

This is the time where you get up at Christmas time and ask jh why they have all of these heathen christmas trees up when the bible CLEARLY says it is evil. Or so one young hacker thought!

Did he get sat down quickly?  :)

RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:
RAIDER said:

Question & Answer Time

Did he get sat down quickly?  :)

What is a word for much faster than quickly?

RAIDER said:

Tunnels
Where the HACker changes for the next room in the Haunted Halls of Halloween.

Anishinaabe

RAIDER said:
Word of the Day - April 2, 2014

Phoster Club

This is a group of ladies who will tell you that you don't need to pass a tract or witness to any of the walmart employees at a certain store because they have already won them all! And all of the employees at this particular bank have already been won. Yadda yadda yadda.

QUESTION AND ANSWER TIME....

Went just to ensure having a seat for the evening service. Yes, it's true -- the sports questions really seemed to be enjoyed by JH. Deacon Webb always had his financial questions. I think, for me, a really crystallizing moment was when a recently widowed young mother stood up to ask a question. She had to shout it from the back of the room. It was a question that would break your heart. "Can they really see us from Heaven?" He couldn't hear her. She had to shout it out again. And...as you know....women didn't typically get up and shout out questions. He did hear her the second time, and of course what can you really say that will comfort a young widow with young children? I think he said something like yes I think they can, and she sat back down. :( I remember being struck at the incongruity. A lady in the throes of such sadness, having no recourse to reach the pastor except by shouting out a personal, tormented question in front of a room full of people...next question? How are the Cubbies going to do this year? Let's keep it light, folks!

brainisengaged said:

Went just to ensure having a seat for the evening service. Yes, it's true -- the sports questions really seemed to be enjoyed by JH. Deacon Webb always had his financial questions. I think, for me, a really crystallizing moment was when a recently widowed young mother stood up to ask a question. She had to shout it from the back of the room. It was a question that would break your heart. "Can they really see us from Heaven?" He couldn't hear her. She had to shout it out again. And...as you know....women didn't typically get up and shout out questions. He did hear her the second time, and of course what can you really say that will comfort a young widow with young children? I think he said something like yes I think they can, and she sat back down. :( I remember being struck at the incongruity. A lady in the throes of such sadness, having no recourse to reach the pastor except by shouting out a personal, tormented question in front of a room full of people...next question? How are the Cubbies going to do this year? Let's keep it light, folks!

I (female) asked a very sincere question one night - my one and only  - because I thought that was the dumbest time  - question and answer - we only went during that time because we wanted our seats - - anyway, I asked a sincere question - - and I have a good quality voice and he said now that's the way a woman should ask a question - clearly and understandbly - to be heard and understood.  Well, the 50 shades of red, I was embarrassed and after that I don't remember if he answered my question because I think he did that on purpose.    He smiled. 

Still There said:
brainisengaged said:

I (female) asked a very sincere question one night - my one and only  - because I thought that was the dumbest time  - question and answer - we only went during that time because we wanted our seats - - anyway, I asked a sincere question - - and I have a good quality voice and he said now that's the way a woman should ask a question - clearly and understandbly - to be heard and understood.  Well, the 50 shades of red, I was embarrassed and after that I don't remember if he answered my question because I think he did that on purpose.    He smiled.

He definitely was quick witted.

brainisengaged said:

I have told my favorite Q&A time story on another thread, but it bears repeating.  Dr. Hyles said, "We have time for one more question".  A lady that had obviously ridden the bus raised her hand and stood up and asked, "When Noah was on the earth was the whole earth flooded?"  Dr. Hyles replied, "Yes, it was".  She replied back, "If the whole earth was flooded, how did Noah stay alive?"  Dr. Hyles didn't pause for a moment and said with a straight face, "He was a mighty good swimmer".  With that answer he turned and walked out the back door of the platform.  We laughed for days!

Word of the Day - April 9, 2014

Buckets & Bows

I (female) asked a question as well. I'd been saved less than a year when we moved here and I was just getting indoctrinated into the subservient role to which women are relegated. I had come from a church with less than 20 members and in that church I never felt repressed. Ladies and men said amen. But at FBCHammond, I noticed the ladies were silent. So at a Q-and-A I asked why ladies don't say amen. For the life of me, I have absolutely no recollection of what he answered. And I never asked another question, having learned my role as a silent woman.

brainisengaged said:
I (female) asked a question as well. I'd been saved less than a year when we moved here and I was just getting indoctrinated into the subservient role to which women are relegated. I had come from a church with less than 20 members and in that church I never felt repressed. Ladies and men said amen. But at FBCHammond, I noticed the ladies were silent. So at a Q-and-A I asked why ladies don't say amen. For the life of me, I have absolutely no recollection of what he answered. And I never asked another question, having learned my role as a silent woman.

Hallelujah!!  :)

RAIDER said:
Word of the Day - April 9, 2014

Buckets & Bows
A good place for the guys who faithfully stayed in the dorms all summer, instead of abandoning their bus kids, to finally get a date. 
These girls, who cleaned the entire campus's common areas, reported to HAC 2 weeks before the rest of the students.

You could observe your future wife' s "character", or stalk your fantasy queen, cuz here they were working right in front of you.

Anishinaabe