So close your eyes and tell me.......

I see Ed Wolber walking across the platform to the pulpit holding his Bible & effortlessly beginning to sing of Christ great love.

Smellin Coffee said:
patriotic said:
I see the choir member (Bro. Chambers???) who sometimes wore a red sport coat.

That was Pearson who wore the jacket. :)

Thanks. I only knew about 3 FBCH church members.

I see a very small group of HACkers standing up during visitor greeting time and claiming to be a delegation hoping to meet Bro. Olsen after the service to receive money for a free lunch. 

"Thank you for visiting with us today.  If you will see Bro. Olsen after the service, he would like to give you something to take care of your lunch.  Oh, Doc (Dr. Jorgensen), would you meet with them also?  They seem to be college age and might be interested in what you do at the college.  What was your name son?"

BUSTED!

Bro. Hyles never offered the free lunch publicly again.  He just asked people to meet Bro. Olsen.

fishinnut said:
I see & hear a FBCH member, a lady singing, "God will take care of you" about once a year.

This lady was Mrs Carole Lail. She too is in heaven.  Most people didn't know, but she and Mr Ed Wolber
were siblings.  She was always so sincere in her presentation of song.  I miss hearing her voice.  She always sat in the pie section of the balcony and most people up there referred to her and her husband as Aunt Carole and Uncle John (a.k.a. Uncle John's Flea Market in Lowell)

Dr. Hyles had pretty good comedic timing.  I remember at the end of a service Dr. Hyles was reading the names of those that had made decisions.  Harriet stood up to put her coat on.  Her coat had leopard like spots on it.  Dr. Hyles quickly yelled and dove behind the pulpit.  He slowly stood up and said, "Oh, sorry, it's just Harriet putting on her coat.  I thought a wild animal was loose in the building".  The place broke out in laughter.....for the rest of the service!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)    THE ABOVE POST IS THE BEST POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!
[/quote]

tobytyler said:
fishinnut said:
I see & hear a FBCH member, a lady singing, "God will take care of you" about once a year.

This lady was Mrs Carole Lail. She too is in heaven.  Most people didn't know, but she and Mr Ed Wolber
were siblings.  She was always so sincere in her presentation of song.  I miss hearing her voice.  She always sat in the pie section of the balcony and most people up there referred to her and her husband as Aunt Carole and Uncle John (a.k.a. Uncle John's Flea Market in Lowell)
Thanks, I couldn't remember her name....

Binaca Chugger said:
I see a very small group of HACkers standing up during visitor greeting time and claiming to be a delegation hoping to meet Bro. Olsen after the service to receive money for a free lunch. 

"Thank you for visiting with us today.  If you will see Bro. Olsen after the service, he would like to give you something to take care of your lunch.  Oh, Doc (Dr. Jorgensen), would you meet with them also?  They seem to be college age and might be interested in what you do at the college.  What was your name son?"

BUSTED!

Bro. Hyles never offered the free lunch publicly again.  He just asked people to meet Bro. Olsen.

I remember the last Wed. night of the school year, '82 or '83, there was a group of guys that stood as "visitors." One guy introduced them as, "We're  a delegation from Baptist City USA, and we're hungry." That time Bro. Hyles caught on right away

As a student, I always dreamed of the time, my husband and I could come back and visit with a group of teenagers. And we actually did one time.  When my husband stood Hyles knew he was a graduate. It helped the ego a bit! :)

fishinnut said:
I see Ed Wolber walking across the platform to the pulpit holding his Bible & effortlessly beginning to sing of Christ great love.

Thanks, fish, I had forgotten about Brother Wolber.  Good guy.

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Thanks, fish, I had forgotten about Brother Wolber.  Good guy.

Anybody still have the tape that was given away during a program "Ed Wolber sings the Favorites of Dr. Jack Hyles?" 

No I never saw that but I have several Lewis Sisters tapes...........priceless music!!!

Sherryh said:
No I never saw that but I have several Lewis Sisters tapes...........priceless music!!!

lewis.jpg

(Yeah, not the same group.)

:D

now that was tooooooo funny 8)

I recall Bro. Hyles's voice become gentle as he referred to the Sunbeam and Pathfinder Departments, He used the phrase "educable slow".

I can see the aisles crammed with people scurrying about before the service starts.

I can see the Hacker struggling to stay awake in church loosen his tie and shake his head, hold his neck ramrod straight only to get whiplash by it falling backwards, waking up for 3 seconds or so before falling forward and hitting his forehead on the pew in front of him.  (true story)

I can see the last seat to the right on the platform, in front of the organ, filled with arrogance.

fishinnut said:
I can see the last seat to the right on the platform, in front of the organ, filled with arrogance.

Was that where Dave Hyles sat?

I see a multitude of small boys in white shirts and ties jetting all over the auditorium.

I see the front row packed tight with Hackers wanting to be as close to the preaching as possible.