Today's Top News....

Good point. At the time, Joy was a teen and maybe that was part of WE motivation. The article didn't mention that but your view does make sense.

Binaca Chugger said:
Vince Massi said:
As I understand it, the story that Dr. Evans gave Jack an ultimatum that either Dave leave or Dr. Evans would quit is a THEORY proposed on a Christian forum over a decade ago. As the years passed, the story came to be accepted as fact, and it is widely reported as fact. However, Dr. Evans has never confirmed that.

I believe it is true.  I believe that Wendell went to Jack and this was the event that caused Jack to begin to recognize that something had to be done.  I know that Wendell denied the events to even his closest friends.  I believe that, in his mind, he was protecting his daughter by protecting her reputation as best he could.  (I know - the victim should not have to fear judgment from bystanders, yet this happens and is a majority reason people from all walks of life choose to not press charges)  It would seem as though Wendell now has recognized that this was not the best course of action that he could have taken and regrets his decision.

The report indicates that Dave got promoted.  We all know that this was no promotion.  Rather than being heralded by thousands, he would only have hundreds to praise him and these would take time to begin to hail him.  This move was a demotion and the paper got that part wrong.

Binaca Chugger said:
After reading Part 1:

The only new information here is the admitted regret by Dr. Evans.  I am happy to hear that he has repented for the decisions that he made back then and acknowledges that they were incorrect.  At this stage, that is all that can be expected.  I also found it good to know that Joy and her dad have a good relationship.

This is obviously written from the perspective of a former IFBer.  The IFB has not cornered the market on this sin.  Other denominations, religions, business and sectors of society have the same issue running rampant in this culture.  To blame the entire IFB is somewhat ignorant.

The writer, Sarah Smith, is non-religious and is of Jewish cultural background and descent.
It is not wrong to blame the IFB for the sins of the IFB. Better to hear it now, on earth, from witnesses and news sources, then out of the mouth of God when it is too late to repent and change.

AnkleBone said:
The writer, Sarah Smith, is non-religious and is of Jewish cultural background and descent.
It is not wrong to blame the IFB for the sins of the IFB. Better to hear it now, on earth, from witnesses and news sources, then out of the mouth of God when it is too late to repent and change.

Anklebone, just curious, but who are you connected to?

AnkleBone said:
Binaca Chugger said:
After reading Part 1:

The only new information here is the admitted regret by Dr. Evans.  I am happy to hear that he has repented for the decisions that he made back then and acknowledges that they were incorrect.  At this stage, that is all that can be expected.  I also found it good to know that Joy and her dad have a good relationship.

This is obviously written from the perspective of a former IFBer.  The IFB has not cornered the market on this sin.  Other denominations, religions, business and sectors of society have the same issue running rampant in this culture.  To blame the entire IFB is somewhat ignorant.

May be true about Sarah.  But she obviously had sources who have left the IFB and painted a particular picture for her.  Maybe the most glaring instance of this is when she claimed Dave got promoted instead of punished.  That was no promotion, that assignment was a punishment.

I have no problem admitting the IFB has problems.  I ignored the problems for years.  Now that I am no longer IFB, I have discovered that the exact same issues are in every segment of society.  When people try stating that the IFB is all rotten and try encouraging people to stay away from all IFB peoples and churches, I point out their prejudice.

BTW: 

Welcome AnkleBone!  Thanks for jumping in here.  In case you are new, most of us are former IFB and have experienced all of these things first hand.  Read through some old threads and get to know us.  This tends to be an honest, sarcastic and debating forum where anger at each other is generally avoided.

Binaca Chugger said:
May be true about Sarah.  But she obviously had sources who have left the IFB and painted a particular picture for her.  Maybe the most glaring instance of this is when she claimed Dave got promoted instead of punished.  That was no promotion, that assignment was a punishment.

I have no problem admitting the IFB has problems.  I ignored the problems for years.  Now that I am no longer IFB, I have discovered that the exact same issues are in every segment of society.  When people try stating that the IFB is all rotten and try encouraging people to stay away from all IFB peoples and churches, I point out their prejudice.

Two things.
1. It may actually be a promotion to go from being a youth director at one church to being the pastor of another church.
2. It is more than just prejudice to point out that it is systemic that IFB churches/colleges/schools etc. have a real issue with accountability. The word Independent means that there is a lack of oversight. This structure, or lack thereof, almost guarantees the rise of little kingdoms ruled by the ManOfGod king.  I don't know how IFB churches can overcome this structural flaw as it is a given that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

16KJV11 said:
Norefund said:
With all due respect, Vince, very few people know who you are. Every Jack Hyles fan knows who Linda is. I have no problem believing she received death threats after her TED talk and her incomplete book chapters.

Vince Massi said:
As I understand it, the story that Dr. Evans gave Jack an ultimatum that either Dave leave or Dr. Evans would quit is a THEORY proposed on a Christian forum over a decade ago. As the years passed, the story came to be accepted as fact, and it is widely reported as fact. However, Dr. Evans has never confirmed that.

I have spoken out against the sins of HAC for years, and I have never received a death threat.
I was thinking the same thing but I didn't want to hurt ole' Vinces' feelings as to his insignificance! :p

Me too.  Just didn't want to be a jerk.  :D

Binaca Chugger said:
AnkleBone said:
Binaca Chugger said:
After reading Part 1:

100%.  Well stated.

I'm still IFB....well IB and nothing like what we learned in college or observe in pastors from IFB.

Binaca Chugger said:
Even in this little statement (Location be withheld because she's received death threats for speaking out in the past) she is self-aggrandizing.  Linda might have something to say, but it is hard to sort the fact from the fiction that she sells in effort to make money off of how bad her dad treated her.

Ironically, the threats were from the KGB.

qwerty said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Even in this little statement (Location be withheld because she's received death threats for speaking out in the past) she is self-aggrandizing.  Linda might have something to say, but it is hard to sort the fact from the fiction that she sells in effort to make money off of how bad her dad treated her.

Ironically, the threats were from the KGB.

8)

GeneFrenkle said:
16KJV11 said:
Norefund said:
With all due respect, Vince, very few people know who you are. Every Jack Hyles fan knows who Linda is. I have no problem believing she received death threats after her TED talk and her incomplete book chapters.

Vince Massi said:

I have spoken out against the sins of HAC for years, and I have never received a death threat.
I was thinking the same thing but I didn't want to hurt ole' Vinces' feelings as to his insignificance! :p

Me too.  Just didn't want to be a jerk.  :D
We'll leave that to Grounded Grid, bless his departed soul...

GeneFrenkle said:
Now that I am no longer IFB, I have discovered that the exact same issues are in every segment of society.  When people try stating that the IFB is all rotten and try encouraging people to stay away from all IFB peoples and churches, I point out their prejudice.

Which, if true,  proves that the entire IFB is just hokum. The dress code is useless, the daily devotions are useless, baptism by immersion is useless, all the soul winning is useless. None of the IFB culture matters in terms of holiness. In the end, you're just Wendell Evans driving away from a parking lot, failing to stop a sexual predator and being promoted to president of a college as a reward. There  was a Paul, and theere really was a Peter, but they didn't achieve what they achieved by living the IFB way. None of it preserves a soul from sin. None of it is effective to righteousness. Now this time, read the Bible for what it actually SAYS, and you'll come up with a religion very different from the prideful and dead legalism of the IFB,

But OK, just as you pointed out, there is no shred of difference between the IFB and any other depraved and lost soul. And the IFB has certainly proved that. They are the ones who declared themselves holy and different. And you're right. They lied. They lie all the time. They're not holy and they're not different.

AnkleBone, I have the same thought process when I hear someone deflect by saying everyone else is just as bad as the IFB.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/investigation-uncovers-hundreds-of-allegations-of-sexual-abuse-in-fundamental-baptist-churches/?fbclid=IwAR0QBnZOVhyv_gkdnZ_gCSf-eWF9ktwRX7KC1QKK9yiknCo5jfLXTJLpZKk

Twisted said:
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/investigation-uncovers-hundreds-of-allegations-of-sexual-abuse-in-fundamental-baptist-churches/?fbclid=IwAR0QBnZOVhyv_gkdnZ_gCSf-eWF9ktwRX7KC1QKK9yiknCo5jfLXTJLpZKk
That is Bro. Goddard's picture early on in the video. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boy-scouts-of-america-considers-bankruptcy-filing-amid-sex-abuse-lawsuits-11544649657

Am80 said:
AnkleBone, I have the same thought process when I hear someone deflect by saying everyone else is just as bad as the IFB.

Except that you can always find people who are better than that. Paul. Peter.  Polycarp, Perpetua, Felicity, Ignatius of Antioch, Valentine, John Huss, William Tyndale, Anne Askew, Thomas Baker, the list goes on and on. I know that most members of the IFB have no idea who these people are, because history is not studied in the IFB. But they are there as a standing testimony of living above the world, something that, clearly, the IFB has not achieved.

The fact that you think all people do the same horrible things as the IFB is another evidence of the failure of the IFB to teach genuine Christianity. We have a glorious roll call of martyrs and of people who lived as living martyrs, giving up everything for Christ and His Kingdom, but they were not IFB. But you have to throw open the shutters that the IFB closed to learn about these people and come to know how they lived.

Poor Dave. Just when he thinks it's been a long time and it's over so now I can start up a new ministry to fool people once again - well, this happens.

2 Samuel 12:14 (KJV)
14  Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.
Kind of reminds me of what's going on in IFB'dom... 

WESLEY said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Norefund said:
How does everyone feel about the explanation from WE that Jack Hyles didn't have to accept the eyewitness account because WE had not written down Dave Hyle's license plate number?

My opinion is that Hyles always did whatever he could to deny Dave's actions no matter how credible the source was. Well, not just Dave's. Other sexual predators got the same "hear no evil" treatment too, actually.

Binaca Chugger said:
I am pretty confident that WE has not been preaching out an the past couple years.  His health is really waning.  I don't feel like WE should apologize to the nation.  It seems he has made things right with his daughter and has given formal statements to the powers that be (not a MOG).  I am very happy to hear this.

I don't think that WE was saying that he accepted the account.  Rather, WE pursued it further to get JH to believe.  WE is the one who pushed JH enough to remove DH from the Hammond area.  Sadly, JH found DH a place to prey upon others.

IN FAIRNESS ----

Jack Hyles was dead before Bob Gray's sin became public.  Not sure, but I think it was in 2006.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/former-pastor-talked-openly-with-police-about-sex-charges
You're a decade late, and Hyles knew all along.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk