Performance based 'Christianity'.

Can someone give a list of the blessings that He will bless us with?

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
When a Christian sins, his performance does not affect his relationship with Christ or his position in Christ. Gods love and grace to His children are unconditional.
However, while sin doesn’t put us out of the fellowship, it changes our fellowship with Him.

I agree with MacArthur:
When we sin, our relationship with God is violated but not terminated. Let me illustrate: We have four children. Most of the time they’re pretty good, but now and then they misbehave. However, no matter what they do, or how many times they’re disciplined or how severely they violate the relationship they have with Mom or Dad by disobedience, they are still our children! So it is with God. Hebrews 12:6 tells us that His children are the ones he chastens. When we sin we do not lose our relationship, we can lose the joy of it!

So I lose my joy if I sin but I am still accepted of Him.

Tom said there were all these things we need to do to be accepted of him. I asked for the top 5 or Letterman's top 10.

It doesn't seem to be that this one that you listed would qualify.

Could you please translate that?
Thanks.

When we sin we still accepted by God, according to Johnny Mac.

Tom said there are things we need to do to be accepted by God...

You meant that for Tom....you responded to me by mistake.
And Johnny Mac is probably busy reading one of your commentaries....

Bruh said:

Cash. And a private jet.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
When a Christian sins, his performance does not affect his relationship with Christ or his position in Christ. Gods love and grace to His children are unconditional.
However, while sin doesn’t put us out of the fellowship, it changes our fellowship with Him.

I agree with MacArthur:
When we sin, our relationship with God is violated but not terminated. Let me illustrate: We have four children. Most of the time they’re pretty good, but now and then they misbehave. However, no matter what they do, or how many times they’re disciplined or how severely they violate the relationship they have with Mom or Dad by disobedience, they are still our children! So it is with God. Hebrews 12:6 tells us that His children are the ones he chastens. When we sin we do not lose our relationship, we can lose the joy of it!

Tom said there were all these things we need to do to be accepted of him. I asked for the top 5 or Letterman's top 10.

Thanks.

Actually I was responding to your post. I included Tom because I think the PBC of IFB would include confessing your sin In order to be accepted. Now maybe that isn't one of His top 5.

Actually he was probably reading one of your posts. :)

Bruh said:

I certainly can't speak for Tom, but I have stated that I do not believe we obey to be blessed, obtain Gods favor or be rewarded.

But, there are some blessings that come with obedience, you miss the consequence of sin....like an alcoholic having liver disease, for instance.
And there is sowing and reaping...there is the chastening of the Lord.
I know Godly people who suffer from cancer or chronic pain.
I know others who live as pagans who seem to be happy go lucky in their existence.

I do not purport to know how God works, but do believe He is sovereign.

Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I agree with MacArthur:

Thanks.

Actually I was responding to your post. I included Tom because I think the PBC of IFB would include confessing your sin In order to be accepted. Now maybe that isn't one of His top 5.

Confessing your sin like in 1 John 1:9?
I don't think I need to do that to be accepted.
And, it could be, I've actually written a post!  ;)

Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Mathew Ward said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I agree with MacArthur:

Thanks.

Confessing your sin like in 1 John 1:9?
I don't think I need to do that to be accepted.
And, it could be, I've actually written a post!  ;)

Oh I know you don't believe it but there are those in the IFB world that do.

If you would like to point out your one post, I'd love to read it. ;)

Matthew Ward:
Oh I know you don't believe it but there are those in the IFB world that do.

By all means, address your post to them and let them respond.

If you would like to point out your one post, I'd love to read it. ;)
And, Johnny Mac and I would love to read your Commentary...maybe on 1 John.....

Tom Brennan said:
Binaca Chugger said:
It is difficult to show this to the IFB, because they are so against works salvation and refuse to accept the truth of their works-based life.  However, it does show itself in many forms.  These may be:
- Three to Thrive, read your Bible, go soulwinning and pray for all your troubles to go away.
- You must work harder and try more in order to not disappoint your Savior.
- If you sin, it is because you have not strived hard enough against sin.
- I did more than you did.
- You must XYZ in order to be right with God.
- earning God's favor
- Proving to God through some method that you are deserving of His "Fulness Power"
- etc.

You get the idea.  The problem with this line of thinking is that it denies the Gospel's significance for your every day life.

Ok. I'll bite for a moment.

- Three to Thrive, read your Bible, go soulwinning and pray for all your troubles to go away.
- You must work harder and try more in order to not disappoint your Savior.
- If you sin, it is because you have not strived hard enough against sin.
- I did more than you did.
- You must XYZ in order to be right with God.
- earning God's favor
- Proving to God through some method that you are deserving of His "Fulness Power"

...each of those I bolded is true, scripturally true, SOME of the time. While that is true we must also remember that ALL of the time it is God's grace in us that enables us to serve Him satisfactorily. Thus, while it is ALWAYS His grace that enables us it is also true that SOMETIMES we must perform something in order to please Him.

I think that is where the balance lies.

I greatly disagree:
- I do not believe I can disappoint God.  Disappointment is the result of false expectations.  I believe it is impossible for God, in his foreknowledge, to have a false expectation of me.  I might grieve Him, but not disappoint Him.
- Read Romans 7.  You cannot strive hard enough to resist sin.  Victory over sin is only accomplished by grace through the power of the Holy Ghost.  You cannot defeat Satan.  Christ has defeated Satan.
- Define "Right with God."  Depending upon your definition, I might agree, maybe.  For most MOGs, this is simply a tool by which to bully people to do what the MOG wants.  If you are attempting to live by the law to have a relationship with God, you are denying the entirety of Romans and Galatians.
- You cannot earn God's grace.  By definition, it is "God's enabling power of unmerited favor."  Get that: "Unmerited favor."  An effort to earn God's favor is to deny grace.  This is in direct contradiction to Rom 11:6.

I do agree:
1 Cor 15:10.  The grace of God enables me to live out the fullness of my purpose as found in Rev 4:11, to glorify Him, by loving God and loving others, thereby fulfilling all the law and the prophets.  This is only accomplished by my recognition of the significance of the Gospel and the grace of God in my life every moment of every day.  This will never be accomplished by my will power determining to push myself and strive to achieve somebody's target of what they think I should be.

Bruh said:

The Beatitudes are a great place to start...

if we're not supposed to perform and obey and do good works then what is God chastising His children for?  and if u haven't been chastised ur not His child according to Gods word.

MrsRow said:
if we're not supposed to perform and obey and do good works then what is God chastising His children for?  and if u haven't been chastised ur not His child according to Gods word.

I do not believe we should not do good works.  "To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin."  Chastening is loving correction to sanctification.  I think most of us here would disagree with the mindset that any sin is okay now that we have found grace.  Grace gives us the ability to fulfill our love of God and love of others.  We cannot do this in our own will power.  PBC claims that we must strive to earn the ability to overcome sin, which puts the ability to that which is holy upon unholy people.

T-Bone said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Walt said:
Surely you believe that God will treat His disobedient children differently than He treats the obedient children, right?

No, not really, not if you mean God blesses his obedient children but doesn't bless disobedient children.

But if he means that God will discipline His disobedient children, he is correct, as Hebrews 12 makes very clear.

Hebrews 12 was in my mind, actually.

rsc2a said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Walt said:
Surely you believe that God will treat His disobedient children differently than He treats the obedient children, right?

No, not really, not if you mean God blesses his obedient children but doesn't bless disobedient children.
Something about rain and the just and unjust?

I've always thought that the verse referenced referred to saved and lost, not the children of God who were obedient versus disobedient.

Binaca Chugger said:
I was at a conference this weekend when I heard a good statement concerning church methodology.

"Be careful not to let one way, become the ONLY way which will then become GOD's way."

Our methods that we discover and may be able to support with Scripture are still our methods.  Be willing to accept the independence of other churches and even other Christians.

Very true - any time the Scriptures speak to a methodology, that IS the ONLY way.  But there isn't as much of that as we tend to think.  When the Scriptures are silent, we should show liberty to one another.

As a Christian, is applying 1John 1:9 and dealing with/agreeing with God about certain sins in my life a form of performance based Christianity?

Tarheel Baptist said:
As a Christian, is applying 1John 1:9 and dealing with/agreeing with God about certain sins in my life a form of performance based Christianity?

If I'm doing it to be accepted of God it is performance based Christianity.

If I am doing it to accept God's view of sin it is not.

Tarheel Baptist said:

What sins? You are a Fox News Republican. They are never wrong! :D