The honorable Rev. FSSL, Litt.D., Hon.D.

• Standing Ovation? +177/-671
The Dimbulb Present of Some Fundamentalists
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 10:13:10 AM »
Because perverted, narcissistic men are still in the pulpit :(
Bill Gothard has been exposed for his perversions.

“[The guilty] protest too much.”
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM! I am the resident "skeptic, critic, purveyor of doubt, self-contradicting, silly, weak-minded, ridiculous, inconsistent, superstitious zealot, deceptive equivocator, hell-bent, disbeliever, contemptuous, doubter, hypocrite, thumb twittler, lying, jackass...

cpizzle

• Standing Ovation? +39/-0
Re: The Dimbulb Present of Some Fundamentalists
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 10:25:17 AM »
To me, a lot of it has to do with respect (submission) for one another (something my preacher friends often forget.)

If I go to the beach (which I do), I know that many women will be wearing revealing outfits.  It is up to me to guard my eyes and not focus my gaze on what leads to "lust."  I can't go around yelling at them for wearing 2 piece swimsuits (even if I still find them inappropriate.)  I must respect their choice to wear less clothing in the hot sun and sand.

If I go to a restaurant (or church....)  and a women is wearing clothing that is intentionally designed to be sexually suggestive (revealing?), then that is disrespectful to me and others. 

I think we should care about others and less about our own "rights."  This goes for the Church and the World as well.
What doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

The honorable Rev. FSSL, Litt.D., Hon.D.

• Standing Ovation? +177/-671
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 11:09:03 AM »
... but the OP was addressing a man wearing shorts.
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM! I am the resident "skeptic, critic, purveyor of doubt, self-contradicting, silly, weak-minded, ridiculous, inconsistent, superstitious zealot, deceptive equivocator, hell-bent, disbeliever, contemptuous, doubter, hypocrite, thumb twittler, lying, jackass...

Ransom

• Standing Ovation? +448/-22
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
Yeah, that's some mature hermeneutics there.

Hope he chokes to death trying to cram a sword in his mouth.
Take care,
Scott

insanely liberal - ALAYMAN
little runt bully - The Rogue Tomato

brianb

• Standing Ovation? +33/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »

I didn't know there was a debate. In the past (before social media) within IFB circles they simply had a rule and that was the end of it - no debate. 

Baptist City Holdout

• Standing Ovation? +105/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 03:36:35 PM »
If it's OK for Steven L. Anderson, it's OK for me.

Do you have low standards in all areas of your life?  LOL!
No, just this one.

HeDied4U

• Standing Ovation? +157/-1
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 07:25:01 AM »

Well, I guess I'm hell bound for I have doubly sinned....,.,not only do I wear shorts, but they're "jhorts" at that. Oh the horror!!!  :o :o :o

:D :D

Should I walk into First Baptist Hammond tomorrow (just a short 30 minute walk from my house) in my jhorts? Would I be welcomed with a hearty handshake or the left foot of fellowship? LOL!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:28:03 AM by HeDied4U »
Cycling...if you're not having fun, you're definitely doing it wrong!! :D

Satan whispers to the Warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." The Warrior whispers back, "Get thee behind me Satan, I Am The Storm!!"

Ransom

• Standing Ovation? +448/-22
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
Should I walk into First Baptist Hammond tomorrow (just a short 30 minute walk from my house) in my jhorts? Would I be welcomed with a hearty handshake or the left foot of fellowship? LOL!!

The ironic part of this guy's argument is, if he actually put it into practice and went to a fundy church wearing the clothes Jesus would have worn, then some genius would make fun of him for wearing a dress.
Take care,
Scott

insanely liberal - ALAYMAN
little runt bully - The Rogue Tomato

T-Bone

• Standing Ovation? +413/-24
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »
Confession time...I wore shorts to one night of VBS last week. It was about 110 that day and I wore shorts. But it's okay I'm SBC!  ROFL!  Oh and I wore shorts when I played golf with my son on Saturday for Father's Day!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:47:30 AM by T-Bone »
"If you have something else to say, right now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself!"

cpizzle

• Standing Ovation? +39/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »
To Be Honest, the number of IFB's that still preach against shorts is almost "0."  Even Bro. Hyles allowed "knee length" shorts for sporting activities. 
People don't wear them often to church or church sponsored activities out of the "carry over" beliefs, but very few still preach it as a standard.
What doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?