Norefund

• Standing Ovation? +58/-0
Joe Combs and "sheveral vershies"
« on: April 02, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »
Ok, he's a pretty easy target now. But were any of you there when he taught or preached in chapel? I remember hearing him badly mispronounce "several verses" and his general effeminate speech pattern and wondering if he was gay. I also approached him once with a question about an answer on a Bible test that everyone around me got wrong. He chewed me out royally for not waiting and scheduling an appointment with his aide. I thought he was a really self worshiping man back then.

My question: he was thought of at the time as the greatest Bible teacher in history. Did you learn anything from him that stuck or is it all tainted now?
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down

Sherryh

• Standing Ovation? +246/-1
Re: Joe Combs and "sheveral vershies"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
I never did care for Bro Combs............I never believed anything he taught he used WA Tozer material if I remember correctly.

I always thought but never said anything about things he said.............now looking back ..........I'm glad he's in prison never to hurt another person.

IFB X-Files

• Standing Ovation? +204/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »
...and his general effeminate speech pattern

that's a positive attribute in prison.
Barney and Betty Hill give IFB X-Files a 5 Star rating!

Kenneth Arnold should have never seen us!

Thomas Mantell wasn't chasing Venus!

patriotic

• Standing Ovation? +174/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
There are things I heard him teach that have stuck with me through the years.  Now, whether they were "his" or someone else's, I don't care.  I learned them from him. 

Most are little one-liners: 

"What you do with the Bible determines what God will do with you." 
"God's promises are the believer's resources."  (spoken "God's promiseeeees are the believer's resourceeeeees." )  This is one of my favorites and always an encouraging reminder. 
"We have the power the created the universe at our disposal." 

There are many things I've learned from King Solomon too that he said or taught BEFORE his heart was turned away from God toward idols. 

RAIDER

• Standing Ovation? +253/-6
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »
I remember the time some guy blew up a balloon, drew a face on it, and wrote "Brother Combs" on the top of it. The guy put the balloon on the podium.  Combs walked in, picked up the balloon, and said, "Who did this?"  The guy raised his hand and Combs made him stand up.  He looked at the guy and said, "You're an idiot" and popped the balloon.  It was a funny moment.

RAIDER

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
I remember the time some guy blew up a balloon, drew a face on it, and wrote "Brother Combs" on the top of it. The guy put the balloon on the podium.  Combs walked in, picked up the balloon, and said, "Who did this?"  The guy raised his hand and Combs made him stand up.  He looked at the guy and said, "You're an idiot" and popped the balloon.  It was a funny moment.

I wasn't there for that, but I'm laughing now!

The funny part is that the balloon did look like Combs!

RAIDER

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »
He was famous for saying, "Versees and phrasees".  One day he told the class to pick up their tests on the table in the back.  Only problem is that he didn't say, "tests".  :)

RAIDER

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »
He was actually my favorite teacher.  His classes were interesting.  His notes were a lot like Warren Wiersbes.  It's still hard to comprehend what a monster he was.

RAIDER

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »
Dr. Hyles said Combs was the top Bible teacher in the nation.  Unfortunately, I think Combs believed it too.  Even though I thought he was a good teacher he always had a "No body has more Bible knowledge than me" attitude.

prophet

• Standing Ovation? +373/-5
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 03:09:14 AM »
Joe was never a believer.  He explicitly insisted that only the 'autographs' were inspired, and that The RV was an improvement.

Anishinabe